Thursday 15 March 2012

Interview: KaSonndra Leigh

The lovely KaSonndra Leigh
I've got a treat in store for you all today. Earlier in the week I reviewed When Copper Suns Fall by KaSonndra Leigh and today the lady herself KaSonndra Leigh has kindly answered some of my questions. Enjoy!

Hi, KaSonndra and welcome to V’s Book Life. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I’m a little nervous as it’s my first interview but we should do alright. I’ve just finished When Copper Suns Fall and really enjoyed it (read my review here). Here’s the blurb for those who haven’t read it yet!
'In fifteen-year-old Chela Prizeon’s city, alchemy is forbidden and angels hide among the mortal. With a deadly virus ravaging the globe, Chela’s nightmarish memories compels her to experience a past riddled with gloom, and now her brother is infected. Chela’s only hope is the Caduceans, slayers sworn to protect the last seven Light Keepers and the ancient memories they share. A group led by the sometimes elusive, sometimes infuriating boy who intrigues Chela. But can she trust this boy with the mysterious past, someone who can influence her memories? With the Caduceans aid, Chela races to defeat her rivals, to unearth dark family secrets, desperate to find a cure…only to discover the glutovirus is far more than a simple disease.'

Vikki: This is a great storyline. I found Chela’s world and the people that inhabit it fascinating. Where did you get you inspiration from?
KaSonndra: When I sat down and began writing When Copper Suns Fall, the story was a standard in your face, super-high fantasy. It came complete with blue creatures, unicorns, princes, and all that. Chela’s name was Cara and Faris had a name that has been overused lately. I wasn’t trying to be fad girl or the Lady Gaga of the writing world. But rather, I was trying to write the story I always wanted to read. One that came to life when my oldest son asked me: “what if angels that looked like people lived in a dystopian society?” The seeds were planted, the lights in my muse’s apartment lit up. The challenge was on. I asked myself: “how do I stick to an urban setting with fantastical elements, but bring my love of dystopia into play?”

Vikki: Why the urban fantasy/dystopian genre? Have you always been drawn it?
KaSonndra: I love both of these genres. I have certain books I can devour in one sitting, and others well, it just takes a little longer. Doesn’t necessarily mean they’re not good or anything at all. I tend to love dystopian novels and urban fantasy. They’re magical and intriguing and everything I enjoy in a story.

Vikki: Chela has an awful lot to take in over the course of this book and makes a few tough decisions. She is a very strong person, as is Faris. Did you base her or any of your characters on real people?
KaSonndra: Of course, our writing always is based on the events, people, and places that most shaped our lives. I’d say the characters, themes, and overall tone of Copper Suns’ message is based on the way I feel about losing my grandmother. She was the one who told me to learn how to talk to the flowers. They hold the secrets hidden by the angels. So that’s what I did.

Vikki: I noticed that When Copper Suns Fall is book 1 of a trilogy, can you give us a hint as to where you’ll take Chela next?
KaSonndra: Sure can. You can expect to hear more from Faris’s voice in the next novels. You’ll also get more insight into the world where the Great War began. This time, Chela will dive deeper into Seth and Faris’s mysterious world on the other side of the river.

Vikki: If When Copper Suns Fall were to be made into a film or T.V. show, who would you have play Chela?
KaSonndra: I actually did a character mock up of the main characters in WCSF. And for Chela, I picked Jessica Szhor who plays Vanessa on Gossip Girl.

Vikki: Have you got any novels being released in 2012? Can you tell us a bit about them?
KaSonndra: Yes! Yes! I’d love to tell you about them. The expanded edition of When Copper Suns Fall will be released on March 31st. I have a short story being published by Crushing Hearts & Black Butterfly in May. My Gothic paranormal novel Hacienda Moon will be pubbed in June. I’m really excited about that one because there’s a new type of supernatural creature being used in this one. And finally, in late fall of this year, we’ll be releasing the sequel to Copper Suns. It’s called When Silver Moons Rise. As you can see I’ve been VERY very busy! :-D

Vikki: Wow, you have been busy! Where is your favourite place to write? 
KaSonndra: I have a swing in my backyard where I sit and listen to nature all around me as my inspiration. Even though I only get to write outside like that for a few select months out of the year, I still enjoy connecting with life around me. Nothing is more inspirational.

Vikki: What do you enjoy doing when you’re not writing?
KaSonndra: I have tons of hobbies. When I’m not writing, I enjoy hanging out with my X-men. In case you haven’t read up on who they are, I’ll tell you they’re my two boys. And yes, both their names start with an X. That being said, another of my favourites is gardening. It’s meditative and offers a cure for writer’s block like you wouldn't believe.

Vikki: If you could meet any author (dead or alive) who would it be? (For me it’s the Bronte sisters…they started my love of the written word!)
KaSonndra: This is a loaded question. Why? Because I can’t really decide on one person. I mean, I’m stressing out over here as I try to decide who I’d want to meet first. I’d say Ann Radcliffe or Bram Stoker. I might be a dystopian fantasy author, but at the end of the day, I’m scouting out the latest in Gothic lit. Nothing beats the classics and those two set a very high bar for us authors to reach.

Vikki: And finally, what book are you reading right now?
KaSonndra: I have six books I’m reading right now. LOL I’m finishing up Graveminder by Melissa Marr first and then moving on to the Hunger Games trilogy...again! :-D

Vikki : Thank you so much for your time. I’ll be looking forward to book 2 in the Copper Suns trilogy!
KaSonndra: And thank you for taking the time to host me and review my novel When Copper Suns Fall. I heart you dearly. :-D

KaSonndra's début novel When Copper Suns Fall is available to buy on Amazon here!



No comments:

You may also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...